Claims and Service

What do I do if I need to make a change or have a claim on my policy?

New car. Need new ID cards. Refinancing. For most changes just call the office and we will get it taken care of. For claims, depending on the situation it may be fastest to call the company direct, but we are always willing to give you feedback and answer questions.

If you are so inclined a lot of companies have “Apps” you can pay your bill and report claims on them if needed. Ask how to get signed up. But when in doubt just call.

Acuity 800-242-7666
Foremost 800-527-3907
Hanover 844-806-4861
Kemper 800-327-1500
Progressive 800-274-4499
Safeco 833-203-9786
Travelers 800-252-4633
Wisconsin Mutual 800-831-0296
(After Hours Only)

Call with questions or for a quote

You could save by packaging your coverage, just ask.

  • (414) 425-4646